warwick-uk.co.uk       






















   

Places of Interest in Warwick

Warwickshire Yeomanry
Museum 

The Court House, Jury Street
Tel: +44 (0)1926 492212

 

Uniforms, arms, swords, sabres and selected silver.  

OPEN
Easter to October
Saturdays, Sundays and Bank and Public Holiday Mondays.
10.00 - 13.00, 14.00 - 16.00

Other times by appointment.

ADMISSION FREE

blank.gif (77 bytes)

Warwickshire Yeomanry Museum
 
The Warwickshire Yeomanry

On the 25th June 1794 the Lord Lieutenant of Warwickshire, the Earl of Warwick had raised by public subscription sufficient money to raise a force of Volunteer Cavalry for the defence of the County in the event of invasion by the French, with whom we were at war.  This force comprising Gentlemen and Yeomanry of the County was named the Warwickshire Yeomanry Cavalry and its first commanding officer was the 4th Earl of Aylesford.

The Regiment has had unbroken service since that date and has always comprised men of Warwickshire who have followed normal civilian occupations in peacetime, but have voluntarily trained for war at drill nights, weekends and annual camps.  When an internal threat of war has occurred, the Regiment has mobilised to full time service with the forces of the Crown.  Over 2000 members of Warwickshire families have served in the Regiment over the past 200 years.

During the 19th Century the Regiment was frequently called out to help maintain law and order in Birmingham, Coventry and Bedworth - particularly during the Chartist Riots from 1837-1840.  A volunteer Squadron of the Regiment served with great distinction in the Boer War for a year and a half.  The Regiment was mobilised in the Great War and the Second World War and served with great gallantry throughout them both.  In the Great War at Gallipoli and at the battles of Katia, Romani, Rafa, El Arish and Huj in Palestine, the latter the scene of the Regiment's famous cavalry charge.  In the Second World War the Regiment served in Iraq, Syria and Persia and then with the 8th Army at the Battle of El Alamein where only seven tanks of the Regiment survived, and later the Regiment fought throughout the Italian campaign.

In 1956 the Warwickshire Yeomanry amalgamated with the Worcestershire Yeomanry to form The Queen's Own Warwickshire and Worcestershire Yeomanry.  In 1969 the Regiment was reduced by defence cuts to a Cadre and a Signals Squadron.  The Cadre expanded in 1971 to a Squadron of the Queen's Own Mercian Yeomanry which in 1992 became The Royal Mercian and Lancastrian Yeomanry.  Today our serving successor Squadrons of the Warwickshire Yeomanry are A(QOWWY) Squadron of The Royal Mercian and Lancastrian Yeomanry and 67(QOWWY) Signal Squadron of 37 Signal Regiment.

 

Warwick Castle Lord Leycester Hospital Church of St Mary
Oken's House Warwickshire Museum St Johns Museum
Yeomanry Museum St Nicholas Park Saltisford Canal Trust
 
Home History of Warwick Places of Interest Accommodation
Warwick Town Council Local Links Disclaimer e-mail us


Copyright 1999-2007, Warwick Town Council
Site designed and maintained by Warwick Web Visions Ltd